Kays Creek Irrigation Company Board of Directors Meeting

Kays Creek Irrigation Company Board of Directors Meeting

10/1/15

Layton City Building

Present:
Scott Green
Jay Love
Woody Woodruff
Clark Hirschi
Steve Jackson – Layton City

Water Shares for new homes – the board needs to decide what amount of water should be allotted to each of the homes in the new subdivisions. Meters will be installed to help track what is used. Meters tend to help people be more conscious of their water usage. Our awareness efforts (newsletter, notices, and daytime watering ban) have already helped a lot. Meters can cause people to say, this is my allotment I’ll use it whether or not I need it. This does happen but is rare. The new subdivision has lot sizes ranging from .19 to .56 with most of them averaging .26. We are assigned 1af to each lot, but the smaller ones will never use that amount. Do we stay with our current lot assessment profile or switch to one that takes into account hardscape? Layton City will provide us with information if we decide to go that route. The Adams Farm subdivision does not have Kays Creek shares for all of the lot, only for part. The rest was contract water with Weber Basin. Clark: We should use the Layton City model. It will help with consumption. Scott: When we use the 1af model, we hedge our bets. It helps control the amount of water we commit so that we don’t overextend. Adams: I think we should go with the Layton City model. We shouldn’t service the neighborhood until the correct amount of shares have been turned in. Steve: It would be helpful to include the amount of water that needs to come back to Kays Creek in the service commitment letter. Scott: On Ovation Homes letter (on Oakridge) when they ask for a letter of service we need to include the number of shares needed for Kays Creek to service the area.

Outlet box for Andy Adams needs to be redone. It is pulling out silt from the bottom of the reservoir and it is turning people’s fences brown because of the high iron content. We are the box 4.5 feet to help alleviate the problem. We are draining the pond currently so that the new box can be built. Right now there is no limit on the fish to catch in order to help clear out the fish. We are trying to get Layton City to open their grates to allow the fish to travel down the ditch. The Fish and Game are going to then put additives in the water that will remove the oxygen and kill the carp.

Jerry Stevenson has paid for the pipe in west Layton ($90,000) for drip lines. He is turning the pipeline back to us so that we can use it for homes out west. Fusing on the pipe begins Monday and a contractor will do the installation.

We went to the state and asked that our 64,000 loan payment be deferred for 2015 so that work in west Layton can be finished. The state agreed and required that we pay the interest ($18,000). We will be able to service around 80 more homes. The pipeline will be done in a month. It will be an 18 inch HDPE pipe.

What we do with non-payers? We have 24 people who have not paid in 2+ years. Some of the valves are buried 4 feet down. If we go to small claims court we could get a judgment but not necessarily the payment. Do we place a lien? If we do, do we have to renew it? We will check with David Wright to learn about the process.
Do we offer a refund of the $500 connection fee to the customer out west who is upset about the staining to his fence and driveway. Woody: No, that opens it up to everyone. Clark: It is better to use the money to address the larger issue of fixing the outlet box.

Hobbs Reservoir property sale: no. It would block future access around the pond, especially since the city wants to connect to the Bonneville Shoreline trail.

Can we raise the dam? We used to raise it to 45 but the state made us reduce the amount to 35 feet. A spillway was installed and other flood preventative measures were installed. Scott has contacted the state to see if we can raise the amount. If the amount is raised, we can capture 400+ af. An engineer would need to come and examine the dam in order to make that assessment.

We are having problems with the sod farm on Emerald. He has exposed PVC pipe and we had to shut him off this summer because of problems. Scott: I propose that we meter him or ask the School District (who owns the property and rents it to the sod farm) to rein him in. Woody: look into it and see what size meter would be needed. Clark: go through the school district to put pressure on the sod farm owner.

Woody: have we done a grant for water meters? Scott: We haven’t. Woody: that would be something to look into. Scott: The grant packets are coming out in the next couple of weeks. We can look into that. Clark: If we get a grant we can meter problem areas first.

Meeting ended at 12:53